Module 14 Assignment: Ekphrasis

 

 

I am your mother

I will always be here for you and your brother

No matter where you are

Mom will never be far

 

I will never leave you alone

Even if the future is unknown

Together we will find our destiny

Away from the enemy

 

Even from my grave

I will always make sure you are safe

Never forget that if life gets hard

Mom will be light in the dark

 

For this assignment, I decided to use the photo Migrant Mother taken by Dorothea Lange in 1936. This work seems too valuable to me, and although it is in black and white, it manages to give a great message to the viewer about the time period in which this photo was taken. I must admit that this image generated too many feelings in me because although I am not a mother, I am an emigrant. I know how difficult it is to embark on a new path in a country with different languages and cultures. The detail that stands out in this photo is how this mother looks deeply into the future while her children hug her. Migrant Mother is a living example that a mother will always be there to do everything possible to protect her children when everything gets complicated. During my translation of the photograph, I try to keep the essence of this photo that represents a mother who, although facing a challenging situation, keeps her head high in search of a better future for her children. Through the poem, I decide to take the place of this mother who must seek opportunities in another country to provide her children with a better future far from poverty and violence. I think that the black and white image manages to play with the viewer's senses since it generates a feeling of sadness and despair, while the children hugging their mother represents hope.

Comments